What Do the 2006-2007 TUS Data Say about Tobacco Use?
The data tables listed here provide examples of the type of information
that researchers can obtain from the TUS. They are based on analyses of the 2006-2007 TUS-CPS data file. These tables
are also provided in the Preliminary Findings report, which will be available soon on this Web site.
Home and Work Environments in Which Smoking is Not Allowed.
Cigarette Smoking Quit Attempts and Cessation.
Use of Cigars and Smokeless Tobacco Products.
Various Unique Items.
Attitudes Toward Smoking in Public Places.
When using these tables, please note that:
- Several federal surveys are used to track tobacco usage in the US population, each with slightly different assessments. These tables are examples of analyses of the 2006-2007 data file that are available from the Census Bureau.
- Table 1 and Table 4 data are weighted for the sample design and for CPS Smoking Supplement non-response. Values in Tables 2, 3, 5, and 6 are weighted for the sample design and for Smoking Supplement self-response.
- Tabled values may not sum exactly to 100% due to rounding error.
- These tables contain simple parameter estimates (percentages and means), and measures of variance in the form of confidence intervals. These confidence intervals were estimated using replicate weights. Alternative estimates of variance and confidence intervals can be made for simple analyses using Attachment 16 of the 2006-2007 Tobacco Use Supplement File of the US Census Bureau Technical Documentation. Replicate weights necessary for more complex analysis such as regression or analysis of variance are available from NCI.
- Northeast = Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont;
- Midwest = Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin;
- South = Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia; and
- West = Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming.